Apply to NIU as a first-year student
How to Apply
We’re glad you’re interested in attending NIU! With a little preparation, it’s easy to apply.
1. Know when to apply.
The application deadline for fall 2019 is August 1, 2019.
You need to apply earlier if you want to be considered for a merit scholarship. Learn about deadlines for NIU merit scholarships.
2. Review admission requirements.
In general, you need to take certain classes in high school and achieve a minimum ACT/SAT score and GPA in order to be considered for admission. See our admission requirements.
3. Explore our majors.
You don’t need to know your major when you apply, but it’s a great time to see what NIU has to offer. With our wide range of undergraduate degree programs, you’ll be sure to find the perfect fit for you.
4. Gather your materials.
You’ll submit your high school transcript and ACT or SAT score as part of your application. Learn more about supporting documents.
You may need to provide additional materials if you are:
- An applicant to the School of Music.
- An applicant to the School of Theatre and Dance.
- An undocumented student (PDF).
5. Complete your application.
You’ll begin your application by creating an account in our system. You will then:
- Provide information (Social Security number, name of your high school, etc.).
- Submit supporting documents.
- Pay a nonrefundable $40 application fee.
Please note: To be considered for an application fee waiver, you must be currently enrolled in high school. Submit an NIU application fee waiver form (PDF), or ask your high school counselor or social worker to send a letter stating you meet the criteria on the form.
6. Check your status.
Once your application and required documents are received, it usually takes us about two weeks to make an admission decision. Be sure to check the status of your application to see if anything is missing. Submit any missing items as soon as possible.
Undergraduate Application Deadlines
Other Important Info
- More deadline information
- First-year and Transfer requirements
- Next steps for admitted students
- Financial aid and scholarships
- Come for a visit
NIU provides annual reports on campus security and fire safety.
- Learn More
Contact UsOffice of Admissions
DeKalb, IL 60115