Apply to NIU as a transfer student
How to Apply
We’re glad you’re interested in transferring to NIU! Follow these steps to apply.
1. Know when to apply.
The application deadline for fall 2019 is August 1, 2019.
You'll need to apply earlier if:
- You want to be considered for a transfer merit scholarship.
- You're petitioning for a review of an admission decision.
2. Review admission requirements.
The admission requirements depend on:
- The number of credit hours you've earned.
- If you have an associate degree.
3. Explore our majors.
If you haven't decided on a major, spend some time exploring our undergraduate degree programs. You'll be sure to find the perfect fit for you.
4. Gather your materials.
Your supporting documents will include transcripts from colleges you attended. You may also need to provide high school transcripts or ACT/SAT scores.
You may need to provide additional materials if you are:
- An applicant to the School of Music
- An applicant to the School of Theatre and Dance
- An undocumented student (PDF)
5. Complete your application.
You’ll begin by creating an account in our system. You will then:
- Provide information (date of birth, address, etc.)
- Submit supporting documents
- Pay a nonrefundable $40 application fee
Please note: To be considered for an application fee waiver, submit an NIU application fee waiver form (PDF). You must either have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $0 on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) report, or be in a college access program at an Illinois public community college.
6. Check your status.
Once we receive your application and required documents, it usually takes us about two weeks to make an admission decision. Be sure to check the status of your application to see if anything is missing. Submit any missing items as soon as possible.
Undergraduate Application Deadlines
Other Important Info
- More deadline information
- First-year and Transfer requirements
- Next steps for admitted students
- Financial aid and scholarships
- Come for a visit
NIU provides annual reports on campus security and fire safety.
Contact UsOffice of Admissions
DeKalb, IL 60115